Saturday, February 9, 2013

Countdown To Raceday Part 2

7 Days to go!!!


 
Next Saturday I'll be running (instead of riding) in my first 5K race. On one hand I'm excited about the race in general. On the other, I'm nervous about being able to complete the run without collapsing. This mornings run was the most brutal so far. I know I say that after every run, but this time the first run cycle was ramped up quite a bit. Most of the intervals only increase by one or two minutes. Todays jumped up from 10 minutes to 15 minutes for the first run. I'm glad Julie was able to go with me. She always knows how to keep me motivated. About 2 minutes from the end of the first cycle, my heart and lungs were sreaming with pain, but she was able to give me the encouragement I needed to finish the run. Looking back at the choices I've made in my life, taking up smoking was definately the DUMBEST move I've ever made. I've been smoke free for a whole month now. I'm not gonna lie, it's been harder than losing the weight, but it's definately been worth it. Unfortunately, the damage has been done and I'm going to have to pay for it for a long time. Hopefully I'll be able to get enough of my lung function back for my upcoming bike race in Monterrey. Live and learn I guess.

Julie's 39th Birthday Bash


 

Yesterday we celebrated the 39th birthday of my best friend and soulmate. After work she and the kids met me in town at Ghengis Khan's Mongolian BBQ for dinner. Afterwards we went home to change and head out for a night of adult beverages and dancing at Crocodiles Night Club in Modesto. Now I've never been much of a dancer, but I enjoy being out on the floor with Julie. In fact the way I dance reminds me of a "Seinfeld" episode where George describes Elaine's dancing as an "all over body dry heave, set to music." It's good thing Julie can dance. She had a great time dancing and hanging out with all of her besties. Next year is the big 4-0hhhhhh though. I'm definately gonna have to plan something big. I'm not sure what, but it'll have to be BIG, because she's worth it!!! Happy Birthday Babe!!!

1 comment: