Saturday, February 16, 2013

My First 5K!!!

...or Scott 2, Fatboy 0




Today I ran the Bay Breeze 5K race at Quarry Lakes in Fremont. This was my first running race ever!! I now know the feeling Julie gets after a race, and it feels great!!! I was a little nervous standing on the grid right before the race. My legs get a little twitchy and restless from the adrenaline surge I get while anticipating the race ahead. Wheather it's on a bike, on my feet, or in my racecar that little nervous twitch before a race is always there. My race started 20 minutes after Julie started her 10K race. I gotta say, I'm so proud of her. She sets a goal and sees it through. She was thinking that we might finish the race pretty close to the same time since she started earlier, so I kept looking for her coming up behind me. I had to force myself to keep running just in case she did catch up to me, so she wouldn't give me crap for walking!!! (HaHa) The first 2.5 miles went without a hitch, in fact I ran the the whole way until that point. The last 3/4 mile was rough, I had to walk a little bit to catch my breath. I used Julie's 10 step and continue running method. It worked good until I got to the last quarter mile, which was a pretty good little uphill climb to the finish. I ended up walking a pretty good chunk of the way up that last hill. When I came around the last corner to the finish, I sucked it up, pinned the throttle, and sprinted to the finish, passing about seven or eight people coming to the stripe.

First 5K

Up until today the longest duration I had run was 20 minutes. I had a goal of finishing the race under 40 minutes. My official time was 34.42 with a 10.47 min/mi average. In that 34 minutes I think I only walked for about 3 or 4 minutes. I just kept telling myself, " Keep running!! don't let Julie catch you walking!!" I came in 235th out of 537 runners in the overall results. 12th in my age bracket out of 52.
 
 

Race Results 2/16/2013

I'm pretty stoked about my performance today, and I can't wait for the next race. Julie says that there is another race in March at Del Valle Resivior that we might look into.
 

After the Race!!!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment