Saturday, March 23, 2013

Packing On The Miles!!

This week I decided to up the ante to ride 100+ miles. Unfortunately, I started the week off by driving to work on Monday due to work scheduling. Tuesday I got off the train in Santa Clara and logged the first 8 miles of my 100. That afternoon, I headed back to the San Jose station for another 5 miles added. When I got there, there was news of an unfortunate accident farther up the tracks. Someone had been hit by a train and subsequently killed:-( The officials said it would likely be 2-3 hours before any of the trains would be allowed to go through the scene. 2-3 Hours? I can't wait around for 2-3 hours. So I hopped on my bike and headed north. I called Julie and let her know the situation. I told her that at worst, she might have to come pick me up in Pleasanton from the BART station. I basically followed the tracks until I got to Great America station thats where my knowledge of Santa Clara streets ended. I had a vague idea of where I was going but I had to keep stopping to check my GPS to make sure I wasn't straying too far off track. (need to get a phone holder for my bike) I finally got to a point where I knew where I was and settled into my ride to the Fremont ACE station. 32 miles in a little over 2 hours. For a total of 40 miles on day one!! Go Me!!

 
The rest of the week I took it pretty easy only riding in from Santa Clara and back to San Jose. Friday morning I was late getting to the train in Tracy so I had to catch it in Livermore. So that afternoon I got off at the Pleasanton staion and rode to Vasco Rd. It was just a little 10 miler, but hey, miles are miles right? I was just 16 miles short of my 100 for the week, so this morning Julie and I went out for a "little" ride. We chose to just get on the bikes and ride from the club intead of driving somewhere, parking the truck somewhere safe, and then having to drive back. We headed south along River road and into the little town of Greyson. The ride to this point was really smooth due to the nice tailwind we had. Once we turned west and headed towards Westley, the wind was so fierce it slowed us down to a crawl. Once we finally got to Westley, we stopped at  Subway and had some lunch and took a break from the wind. After lunch we geared up and started off into the wind for home. After this mornings ride my weeks total is 112 miles!! BOOYAH!!! Not too shabby for a 5 day total!
 
 
 
 

On the road to Westley

 

 
 
 

 
 
 



1 comment: