Sunday, January 27, 2013

Getting The Lead Out !!!

This week is the begining of my new training strategy. WORK, WORK, WORK and WORK some more. April is going to be here before you know it, I need to be better prepared. I got some really good info on a training regimen to build up my cardio from a fellow cyclist tha rides the train with me. I only wish I'd have caught his name. So, following his advice, I'm looking for trails and roads to work out on. He said I need to find a road that is pretty steep and climb it in little intervals until I can climb to the top without getting winded. For now though, I'm pushing myself harder on some days, lighter on others just to kinda give my body a chance to recover from the harder days. The Strava app on my phone has actually played role in my training as of late. Everyday I try to break my own personal records of how fast I can get to the train station, or to work. It's gotten boring though, because I can bang it out pretty quickly now. One day, while on Strava,  I noticed a little trophy next to my name. It was for a time record of a segment of my ride. The next day when I got to where the segment started, I put the hammer down and broke that record!!! From then on I've been hooked. On Tuesday I had actually set a couple of top five times on two segments. One was a 5th fast time for a 1.8 mile stretch, and the other was a 4 way tie for 2nd on a little .4 mile sprint. Had I been a second faster I would have owned 2nd place.


 
24 hours later I did own it!!!
27.6 mph average on a Mountain Bike!!!
 


On the running side....

My running routine is starting to get ramped up as well. My intervals are getting longer and more intense. Yesterday, I finished Week 4 Day 2 of my couch to 5K program. This was, by far, the most painful run to date. (note to self: Don't try to run on a full stomach!!!)

 
Almost to the halfway point in my training.

Some of the things I really need to work on are my breathing, and my running pace. I always get that painful stitch in my side after about 5 minutes of running. My nephew Mike(an avid runner) had told me that it's caused from not taking in enough air when you breathe. I never really thought that I'd have to think about breathing, I thought my body would take care of that on it's own. He als said you need to breathe out as long as you breathe in. So I found myself using the techniques that Mike told me about quite a bit throughout this run. Pace seems to be another enemy for me right now. I've been forcing myself to run a little slower so maybe I can get through these longer runs without collapsing. I've been trying to keep my "running" pace at around 10:30- 10:45 min/mi. My legs however have other ideas.
 
But all in all it was a good run. I set a few new personal bests, and I'm getting ever closer to a full 3.1 miles.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Scott, maybe you can go for some of those steap overpasses, over and over?? They would probably be too easy for you. I just remember as a kid having to go over them. I love he progress you are making! How is your running coming?

    ReplyDelete