Sunday, January 20, 2013

Race Day Recap!!

Well, first of all let me say, todays race was a real eye opener. I learned really quickly the importance of carrying water on the bike at all times. Don't underestimate the distance of a race. 6 miles doesn't seem very far on paper, but once your on the trail it can seem like 100. For a beginner like myself, this trail might not have been the best choice for a first race. The event was held at the Granite Beach area of Folsom Lake, and let's just say, it's not called that for nothing. Don't get me wrong I had fun, but I wish I could have been able to pre-ride the trail, so I could have an idea of what I was getting into.
MTB Kickstart Trail via Strava
 

Final Score: Scott-1, Fatboy-0

On the Grid.......


....And They're Off!!

For me, although I came in dead last, I triumphed in the fact that set a goal and accomplished it. I had a few beakdown moments along the trail, where my lungs and heart just didn't have any gas left in them. I pulled off the trail several times to catch my breath, and to let the pro riders pass. I'm still in awe of how fast some of those guys could blast through some of those really rocky sections. If I'd have been thinking, I would have taken some pics while I was resting. Fatboy put up a good fight, but I fought harder. I guess I just wanted it more. he got a couple of good shot in at about the halfway-point when I came upon one of the younger riders who was stuggling to make it up  a really technical section, and stalled in front of me, causing me to tip over. (fall #1) Later another young rider, same scenario.(fall#2) Later, while trying to get out of the way of the hot dogs, I hit a boulder wrong and went down hard. (3rd and final fall) After the fall I noticed my rear wheel rubbing the frame. CRAP!!!! I bent my wheel!!! or so I thought. It was at that moment Fatboy seemed to be winning." Just give up ", he kept saying "You can't win", he said. But in that same instance I yelled back at him, and told him to "SHUT THE FUCK UP ASSHOLE!!!" " The only one I have to beat IS YOU!!" I got back on my bike just went for it and finished the race.  I finally got to where I could hear the spectators cheering, and I knew I was close to the finish. I rode the last half miles hard as I could, and crossed the finish line with a time of 1:05:32. 10 minutes behind the second to last division rider and 25 minutes behind the division leader. Upon finishing the race exhausted and out of breath, I noticed why my wheel was bent. As it turned out in that last fall, one of the spokes had actually broken off right at the hub. As I said before, this was mostly a shakedown race to see what I need to work on. After today, I know I have my work cut out for me before the Sea Otter Classic on April 21st.

Sprinting For The Finish!!!


I Survived!!!

On a lighter note, I'd like to thank the guys at Kinetic Cycles in Elk Grove for being able to fix my broken spoke on such short notice and for such a reasonable price.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome Scott! I know that area and that is NOT a friendly starter course. Onto bigger and better things right??!!

    ReplyDelete