Thursday, January 31, 2013

This Just In......

Fatboy Gets His Ass Kicked To The Curb!!!


Saturday night was not one of my best running days. I had pretty much slacked off the whole day after Julie's race, with the exception of putting a kitchen faucet in for my folks. I spent most of the day grazing in the kitchen, and then ate a really BIG steak dinner!! Or was it a Big Mis-Steak dinner?  I determined that I needed to get my run in for the day. I soon realized the error of that thinking. Fatboy was laughing is big ol' fat ass off as I was struggling to breathe and to keep my dinner down. At about the 2 mile mark, my stomach decided it'd had enough, and well....I'll spare the details, but you get the idea. Despite what I thought was a dismal run, I still managed to pull off 8 PR's. Go figure.



Monday night, Julie joined me on my run, and once again my brain was telling me to slow down and pace yourself. My legs had other ideas. The nice, small, easy strides seem to kill my knees for some reason. I started taking longer, faster strides, and berfore you know it I was gasping for breath and wheezing. Julie said that I need to just take it easy. That the purpose of interval training is to get used to running long periods of time. Still, I could hear Fatboy chuckling in the corner, saying "see I told you that you couldn't do it." At  one point he almost had me convinced. But thanks to my running buddy telling me not to give up, I dug a little deeper and found the strength to finish the run, and knocked out one more PR. Probably what screwed me up the most was, earlier in the day, I had riden 20 miles on the bike. I thought I was feeling good enough to run that eveneing, but my knees, back, and hips were actually killing me. Getting old SUCKS!!!



 

                                                                                                                                       

Wednesday morning I decided to drive into work because I had a 7 p.m. softball game, and the train has been running late all week. I left the house at my normal time and arrived at work an hour ahead of schedule. Now what? I don't want to clock in and hour early. (I can't leave early anyway) Sooo... I laced up my shoes and went for my run. The shop I work at is located close to a nice little neighborhood that was perfect for a nice early morning run. After my abismal failure on Monday, I forced myself to run at a more manageable pace. To my surprise, it worked. The first run interval was 5 minutes, and seemed like it was only 2. The next one was a 6 minute run, and at the end of it my legs didn't seem to want to stop going. Weird!! The final 5 minute run went by so quick , I didn't even get the least bit winded. TAKE THAT FATBOY!!!  I felt so good, like I could take on the world. I didn't set any PR's, but I did have a personal triumph in knowing that my inner Fatboy had been beaten down and left whimpering in the corner.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Today, Julie signed up for the Bay Breeze 10K race in February held at Quarry Lakes in Fremont. She also signed me up for the 5K race the same day. She sent me a text telling me that I was signed up now, so I can't back out. Not that I would. I'm actually excited to run now. Who'da thunk it? ME? Running? and running a 5K to boot? A year ago I would've laughed at the idea. But this is the new me, and I'm likin' what I see
 
 
 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Scott..I just love your references to Fat Boy!! I am going to have to call my inner voice Fat Girl!! Awesome on the running. I am jealous of your awesome pace already! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete